Friday, October 29, 2004

Almost Forgot

How could I forget?!

How bout those Red Sox? Honestly, it hasn't hit me yet that they actually did it. It is the year. Finally. I don't have to look at my mom and tell her, as I do every November, that next year will be different. This year was different.

What are the emotions you're feeling out there as Sox fans? As non-Sox fans?

I can't process it all. It was such a release. Everyone knowing that that band of idiots was making history. Seeing how amazing that comeback was against the Yankees was almost like watching a ritualistic dismantling of 86 years of heartache. We never have to hear about 1918 anymore. Or The Curse, or Bucky Dent, or Bill Buckner (may he finally live in peace), or Aaron *bleeping* Boone, or '03, '99, '86, '78, '75, '67, or '46. All of it, gone.

And the best part is that, in the process of orchestrating the best comeback ever, they delivered to the yanks the worst loss in post-season history. So not only did the Red Sox break the drought, they removed themselves forever as the greatest choke artists in professional sports. That illustrious distinction is now held by our friends down I-95 South.

I have more to say, but I can't do it now. I haven't gathered my thoughts about this yet. It's all still a swirl. But I can say that there's one person out there who knows how this has changed me. Hopes it has changed me. Well, I have one thing to say about that. It has.

I'm glad it was this team, this year, in this way. Those 25 guys will never be forgotten by the Nation, and they shouldn't. They did the impossible, and they did it with style. Best Red Sox team ever assembled. Remember where you were, because this was big. HUGE.

Who's your Papi, anyway?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home