Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Another Day Breaks

I rolled into the office this morning early to try to get a more substantial post up about my first day. This may be the rhythm I get into as I go along here, as it worked well this morning.

I've been housed with an older retired couple who live in a gated community about 15 minutes from work. It's one of those golf course/villages that have sprung up so commonly on the edges of suburbs everywhere in the last ten years or so. The house is beautiful and I have been allowed the entire use of their refinished basement with my own bedroom, living room area, and private bathroom. Needless to say I was thrilled. And it's dead quiet at night, so I don't think that getting to sleep is going to be much of a problem.

My commute is a breeze, as I seem to be travelling the opposite direction of most of the traffic. The BIGGEST bonus is the Dunkin' Donuts along the way. As my former roommates Jenn and Brian can attest, the lack of d&d in San Francisco has been a sticking point in the way of my full acceptance of that city as a second home. And while it is doubtful that WC will approach anywhere near the general excellence of SF, they still have more d&d. So there's that.

As I mentioned yesterday, the office is in a converted furniture store, so the floorplan is wacky, but expansive. Everything seems to be covered in carpeting. Old, bubbled, gray carpeting.

I've posted a couple photos below. I haven't figured out how to embed photos in the blog entry yet, but I'll get there soon.

Anyway, both photos were taken from the doorway between the public and private areas of the HQ. The first is looking across the darkened main office space towards the street outside. To give you an idea of this town, just think "Anytown USA". It's pretty much made up of tree-lined streets of shops and bars that spill out into shady neighborhoods and a college campus nearby. It's one of those quaint northeastern towns like Hanover or Williamstown, though a lot larger than either of them. The second pic is of the private workspace in the back room. This doesn't do justice to the entirety of the office-space, but the pics give you an idea of where I spend my time.

This place is starting to bustle, so I'm going to post and run. I'm sure I'll be back on with another update as the day rolls along.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home