Monday, September 13, 2004

Controlled Chaos

I have a few minutes before I leave for a vigil against the expiration of the Assault Weapons Ban, which happened today, so I thought I'd give a sense of what this place is like.

Our Chester County HQ is located in an old furniture store space, which means we have about a million electrical outlets, some beat up furniture, old high traffic carpet, and a pretty expansive floor plan, so we have plenty of room to spread out.

I'm one of 2 new volunteer organizers who started today. B, my new counterpart, is a vet of Operation Enduring Freedom. He joins myself, C, and M as the 4 volunteer organziers for our county, and they seem pretty happy to have us here.

We hit the ground running today, and after doing some organization and ramping up at HQ, B and I headed up to Norristown to help out at an ABC news tv spot featuring volunteers for the KE04 and Joe Hoeffel Campaigns. We also made calls to volunteers to mobilize our base in the area to get out to the Assault Weapons Ban vigil tonight, where Gov. Rendell and Congressman Hoeffel will be appearing.

The HQ can fairly be described as orderly chaos. We have a bunch of great volunteers (one of whom is putting me with a place to stay while I'm here) who rotate in and out throughout the course of the day. So a large part of the VOs' job is to keep them on task and focused, and to help them be productive in their activities. They really are incredible people and their energy level keeps the office buzzing.

I'm running out the door, but will post more tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home